- Shanghai Cooperation Organisation SCO formed in
- 15 June 2001
- SCO Headquarters is located in
- Beijing, China
- Total Members of SCO
- 8 Members
- Total Observers in SCO
- Total Dialogue Partners in SCO
- Official languages of SCO are?
- Chinese, Russian
- Current Secretary General of SCO?
- Rashid Alimov
- Pakistan became an observer in the SCO in?
- Pakistan applied for full membership of the SCO in?
- in 2010
- Pakistan, along with India, has become a full member of the SCO on
- June 9, 2017
- In June 2002, the heads of the SCO member states met in
- St Petersburg, Russia
- Pakistan attend a SCO summit for the first time in?
- July 2005 (Astana, Kazakhstan)
- The SCO decided to admit India and Pakistan as full members in?
- In July 2015 (Ufa, Russia)
- When and where India and Pakistan signed the memorandum of obligations of joining the SCO as full members?
- in June 2016 (Tashkent, Uzbekistan,)
- The SCO has established relations with the United Nations in ?
- In 2004
- The SCO has established relations with Commonwealth of Independent States in
- In 2005
- The SCO has established relations with Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in?
- In 2005
- The SCO has established relations with the Collective Security Treaty Organization in?
- In 2007
- The SCO has established relations with the Economic Cooperation Organization in?
- In 2007
- Who is the top decision-making body in the SCO?
- The Council of Heads of State
- The first SCO joint military exercises was held in?
- 2003 (in Kazakhstan)
- According to the Charter of the SCO, Summits of the Council of Heads of State shall be held _____ at alternating venues
- Afghanistan received observer status
- On 6 June 2012 in Beijing, China
- Belarus was granted dialogue partner status
- in 2009
- Iran has observer status in the SCO, and applied for full membership on ?
- 24 March 2008
- First country to receive observer status at the 2004 Tashkent Summit is?
- Leaders of SCO member states, as of 2017
- People’s Republic of China (Xi Jinping, President of China)
- Republic of India (Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India)
- Republic of Kazakhstan (Nursultan Nazarbayev, President of Kazakhstan)
- Kyrgyz Republic (Almazbek Atambayev, President of Kyrgyzstan)
- Pakistan Islamic Republic of Pakistan (Nawaz Sharif, Prime Minister of Pakistan)
- Russian Federation (Vladimir Putin, President of Russia)
- Republic of Tajikistan (Emomali Rahmon, President of Tajikistan)
- Republic of Uzbekistan (Shavkat Mirziyoyev, President of Uzbekistan)
Important Events of SCO
The Shangai Five mechanism was created following the signing of the Agreement on Confidence-Building in the MIlitary Field in Border Areas between China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan in Shangai.
SCO was established in Shangai at its first summit meeting and Uzbekistan was accepted as a member state.
The SCO Charter was signed during the St. Petersburg summit.
SCO members issued a joint communique at the Shangai summit, saying fight against the “three evil forces” of terrorism, separatism and extremism remains the organization’s top priority.
SCO accepted Afghanistan as observer and Turkey as dialogue partner at the summit in Beijing.
The summit in Russian city Ufa approved the SCO Development Strategy until 2025.
President Xi Jinping put forward a five-point proposal in speech at the summit in Uzbek capital Tashkent.
Pakistan, along with India, has become a full member of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) at Astana, Kazakhstan, where a two-day summit of the organisation.
- Shanghai Cooperation Organisation is mainly focused on its member nations’ cooperation on security, military, economic and cultural norms.
- SCO is centered on its member nations’ security related concerns, like terrorism, separatism and extremism.
- The organisation also concentrates on cyber-warfare, according to which, dissemination of information is considered “harmful to the spiritual, moral and cultural spheres of other states” and is considered a national security threat.
- The organisation is also focused on increased military cooperation, intelligence sharing, and counter-terrorism in the past few years as well.
- SCO framework also focuses on the cultural areas of its members’ nations where art festivals and exhibitions are held for cultural cooperation.
- In 2003, premier of the people’s Republic of China, Wen Jiabao proposed free trade area to improve the goods flow.
- The organisation also made pacts to participate in joint energy projects like new hydrocarbon reserves and share water resources.
- Apart from the above, the countries can even help the SCO member countries in case they are going through any crisis. In 2009, China loaned 10 billion US dollars to the SCO members who were going through global financial crisis.
- The countries also participate in joint military activities and partake in large scale war games which are open for the media to witness.